Sunday, September 6, 2009

The Lynching of Van Jones

Back in the day, the lynch mobs used to come like thieves in the night to hang black men from trees. Seems like the Right Wingers are carrying on the tradition.

It's 3AM Sunday EST and my good night's sleep was interrupted by my usual nightmare that Mike Savage and the Savage Nation had overthrown the government and were reinstituting slavery. So, I frantically, went to Yahoo news to make sure that I didn't have to grab my meager belongings and head to Canada via the nearest swamp when I saw the latest headline that green jobs czar, Van Jones, had just resigned.

Who is forced to resign at 1AM on a holiday weekend?

I guess the Conservatives felt that most black folks would be too distracted by family reunions, BBQ and old Marvin Gaye records to raise too much of a fuss during Labor Day Weekend.

What did he do so bad, anyway, record a gangsta rap version of "It's Not Easy Bein' Green?"

Now I knew earlier today when Fox News launched an "unofficial" poll that 97% of their viewers thought that Jones should be fired that this was gonna be a rough ride.

After all, they are still featuring Rev. Jeremiah Wright speeches as breaking news every time they need a black bogeyman.

They also played clips of Jones' alleged "extremist views." One clip had Jones saying that you have never seen black kids doing a "Columbine."

Well....?

It's funny how they attack extremist views but don't explain how the views are extreme.

What happened to "I may not agree with what you say but I will defend your right to say it..."

Guess that saying had as much merit when applied to black folks as "all men are created equal" did during slavery.

Oh well. I guess the only thing worst than being thrown under the bus is throwin' yourself under the Greyhound.

I wish that Jones had stuck to his guns. As the old saying goes, "if you don't stand for something, you'll fall for anything."

It's sad, they used to lynch black men with ropes now they lynch us with lies.

Paul Scott writes for No Warning Shots Fired.com He can be reached at (919) 451-8283
info@nowarningshotsfired.com