Thursday, January 1, 2009

NWSF Bullet: Playin' the Played Out Race Card

I have always hated the term "playing race card." The accusation usually comes out of the mouth of a white America that holds the Queen of Hearts, the Jack of Diamonds and all the rest of those suckas.

But I have to admit that when I heard the comments that were being made about disgraced Illinois governor, Rod Blagojevich's, nominee for Barack Obama's vacant Senate seat, Roland Burris, on CNN, I yelled, "I'm so tired of you people playing the darn race card" before I could catch myself.

http://www.cnn.com/2008/POLITICS/12/31/senate.appointment/

Now don't get me wrong. I am a firm believer that racism, bigotry and white supremacy still make the Euro-centric world go round but in some cases playin' the proverbial race card cheapens the value of the whole deck.

This is one of those cases.

Now, nobody is hatin' on Burris because of his credentials; former Illinois Attorney General, nice suit. But it was clear from the jump that anyone who the fallen angel chose to be Senator would face more scrutiny than a tone deaf American Idol contestant wearing a "I hate Simon" t-shirt.

So why put Burris in that predicament?

Maybe, Blagojevich thought that in this new era of change it was only right that there be a black Senator in congress to champion the rights of poor and oppressed people, everywhere. To fulfill the dream of the Right Reverend Martin Luther King Jr when he said....

Aw, who am I kidding?

This was the manipulative action of a typical white male egotistical maniac using black people for personal gain !

There are thousands of cases of racial discrimination all around us, everyday, where black folks are being denied opportunities or being persecuted for merely being black at the wrong place at the wrong time.

There are also many black political prisoners still being held today for standing up for the rights of African Americans.

If we are really concerned about "the race card" we should be championing the causes of black political prisoners like Dr. Matula Shakur and Mumia Abu-Jamal.

These are examples of people who truly did not deserve the hand that they were dealt.